“A woman from Baltimore, who chooses to remain anonymous, recently purchased a Renoir from a Flea Market in West Virginia. She purchased a box of items for $7 and the painting was included in the box. She claimed she bought the box because of the frame that the picture was in: she really liked that frame.”
Little did she know that she had purchased a $100k long-lost Renoir.
via $7 Renoir found in Flea Market.
I just completed (I think) another still life, and I figured I ought to share it! I used a four-color palette: Titanium White, Ivory Black, Terra Rosa, and Yellow Ochre. I limit myself to this palette for my current painting class. For many paintings, I find that it is surprisingly suitable. Though, I usually choose still life objects that are not incredibly high chroma, or I sneak in some Cadmium Yellow for a highlight!
I haven’t been posting artwork nearly as often as I would like to. It has been an overbooked semester, that is for sure! There are many projects I am working on this April. I am very excited for the museum installation that my team and I are working on. It is projected to be installed by the 20th. I will write a post about it once it is complete, and we are hoping to do a making-of video. The only thing in our way is legality and privacy issues with filming.
For many months now, people have been making vocal notes about how beat up my iPhone cover is. It’s true. It is a plastic incase cover. When I bought it, it had a nice, warm, muted gray finish which was soft to the touch and had just the right friction coefficient between itself and my palm. But, alas, two years of wear had scraped most of the lovely coating off of the plastic. Whenever I got a comment about how bad it looked, I maintained that it still did its job. Why would I buy a new $40 case if this one still works? I’ll buy a new case when I buy a new iPhone, thank you very much!
I eventually scraped off the remaining coating, and was left with an equally ugly cover that was also very slippery and tended to fly out of my hands as I gestured.
Today, as I was wrapping up a monochrome still life oil painting, I had the urge to gesso my lovely little phone cover. After rubbing in a layer of gesso with a paper towel, the cover had enough tooth to take a couple more layers. I then proceeded to go at it with my Prismacolors. I was certainly procrastinating… I have another still life to start today and an in-depth 2-point perspective scene to finish. But, once I started the cover, I could not stop, because I wanted to get the whole thing done so that I could spray it with fixative to keep it from smudging.
I finished the front edge with a gold paint I have on hand, since the colored pencils wouldn’t hold to the lip very well. I’m not sure if the gold was the best choice in color, but I can always change that. It looks like I rushed the paint job a bit, too. I will have to go over it again when I have some time. The bottom of the case is still cracked, but perhaps some epoxy can fix that. The Crystal Clear fixative worked really well. I hope it protects my colored pencil!
Here are some shots of the cover: